Ancient man believed free-flowing springs to be the blood of Mother Earth. Ever since, he has been intrigued with it’s mysteries.
The last glaciers left the Peoria valley some 14,500 years ago, leaving free-flowing springs from the west bluff.
Peoria Mineral Springs provided natural spring water by gravity flow, down to Hancock Street, nearly 2 miles away. Peoria’s population increased to the point that the spring could no longer support the demand. From the early 1850’s several firms claimed the label and bottled and sold the water.
These businesses went on for many years. Then the spring lay dormant until the Traynor family purchased it and gave it new vitality. In 1976 the Family opened the Spring to the public as a Bicentennial event. Later it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places and still claims that status.