About Lydia Moss Bradley
Birth: Jul. 31, 1816
Location: Vevay, Switzerland County – Indiana, USA
Death: Jan. 16, 1908
Location: Peoria County – Peoria, Illinois USA
- Lydia Moss Bradley was born the daughter of Capt. Zeally Moss and Jennette Glascock Moss.
- Founded and endowed the Bradley Polytechnic Institute, now called Bradley University in Peoria. She was a pioneer in many fields.
- In May 1837 she married Tobias S. Bradley and moved to Peoria.
- Lydia Moss Bradley was also the first woman ever to draft a marriage contract (in modern terms a ‘prenuptial agreement’) protecting her assets.
- She established the school to honor her husband Tobias and her six children, all of whom died at an early age.
- She gave land to the Society of St. Francis to build a hospital, now known as the St. Francis Medical Center. In 1884, Lydia built the Bradley Home for Aged Women to care for widowed and childless women.
Zeally Moss (1756 – 1839)
Jennet Glascock Moss (1766 – 1864)
Tobias S. Bradley (1811 – 1867)
Springdale Cemetery and Mausoleum
[Credit: Jan Miller, Record added: Jan 06, 2006 – Find A Grave Memorial# 12907708]